Friday, February 1, 2019

How living in the Now improves your mediumship.

Earlier this month on my bike commute home, I noticed a city bus pull up close behind me as I pedaled up the hill of a busy road.
As the bus passed me I was very present and aware of where it was...less than a foot away from me. The sound and vibrations of the huge vehicle were intense, even if for the ten seconds it took for the bus to climb the hill. As I steadied myself, I focused on pedaling along until I reached the intersection and stopped at the red light.
Replaying the incident in my mind, I felt shocked that this bus driver nearly ran me off the road. I took a photo of the bus with my phone and planned to email the transit authority to make a complaint.
At home, I wrote a very civil email, even though I felt anger rising as I recalled the incident. However, I never got a reply.
This past Tuesday, I was alarmed to read that a fellow bicyclist was killed by a city bus on a campus road near where I work. (Read the local news account here.)
A range of emotions surged associated with these experiences. Although at the time I was hyper-aware of the bus, it wasn’t until I began thinking about what could’ve happened that my emotions took over. I took action by reporting the incident to the campus police.
I feel more settled when I'm aware of what-is. In a non-dual worldview of time, the Now is all there is. Thought does not arise in the Now, as we resist the now with our limited, thinking minds. Such resistance equals suffering or even just unhappiness as we compare this moment with a past triumph.
Mediumship happens in the Now. As mediums, our fears or insecurities are simply thoughts about the past or projections of a future. In the Now, we are able to set aside our thinking minds. With the wider aspect we have as mediums, we access echoes of information while tuning into the shared awareness of non-local energies.
I encourage you to live in the Now whenever it’s convenient to do so, not just in a mediumship circle. The more you do so in your daily life, the more natural it is to have fresh experiences when you need to connect.
Living in the Now relieves us of the patterns of thought that have no bearing on what is actually happening.
The key word is “fresh.” As you go about your life, look upon each sensation or perception with a child-like freshness, without comparing it to memories of past events. If you drop your filters, your observations have no reference points. As the bus, this wall of red metal heaved beside me, I was clear on pedaling steadily ahead.
We’ll be discussing the Now more on Tuesday, February 5 during our first mediumship development circle of the month.
There will be four circles per month: on the first, third, and fourth Tuesday evenings. The circles will run from 7-8:30 p.m. and on the second Sunday of each month from 3-4:30 p.m.
Click here to donate via PayPal. Make sure you add a note to indicate the dates you're planning to attend.
Important: the cut-off time to donate for a same-day circle is noon. All times posted are in the US Central time zone and are posted on my website calendar.
All circles will be recorded and every subscriber to the circle will receive a link to the recording. If you donate to attend a session but are unable to make it, you will still be able to watch the recording. In the event that there are fewer than two participants, I’ll present a twenty-minute meditation.
I’d love for you to join me! Remember, you have until noon on the day of the circle to donate and receive the Zoom meeting link. I look forward to seeing you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment