Sunday, April 15, 2018

Intentions, grounding, and shielding.



Today’s post is based on an email response I sent to a medium who asked about the use of prayers of intention, grounding, and shielding in mediumship:

Early on I was taught to set an intention and/or confer with my guides prior to a sitting, and I've done both over the years. I've found preparing with positive visualization (the way athletes do before a big event) helps to calm my nerves before a public demonstration. Hours before the event I would take my time walking myself through each step of preparing, linking, communicating, and having it all go smoothly and positively for each recipient.

In this way, I set the intention to have a successful session, and I’ll practice this immediately before working if it feels like the proper thing to do at the moment.

I also enjoy daily prayer as a form of positive visualization and expressing gratitude. The universe will respond to our intentions, perhaps not in the exact way we may want it to, though. On the relative level, all minds are entangled and our thoughts have power.  


For the reason that I keep positive and grounded in awareness in my day-to-day life, I don't see any point in doing any kind of ritualized grounding or shielding techniques. From what do we need to shield ourselves? The separate self will feel the need for shielding and protection from what it labels bad or negative energy from its limited perspective.

However, I may suggest to mediums to do something active after a session especially if it felt particularly intense; like take a long walk, take a shower, do some gardening, etc. more for the balancing of the bodymind rather than to cause one's chakras to open, close or spin at a certain frequency or what have you.

Often mediums speak of shielding themselves by visualizing being wrapped in white light (or even cocooned in cotton candy) if they encounter what they consider intense or dark energy.

If doing so helps you feel relaxed that’s fine, but understand that fear comes from the sense of being a separate entity. I'm happy to confront the intense or negative energy because what is behind it is always love.

No comments:

Post a Comment