Wednesday, October 12, 2016

"How can I help you?"


I love my job! I’m a receptionist at a university archive, and have the opportunity to deal with the public each day, greeting them, locating their recipient and relaying their messages. 

When I meet an interesting character, after our interaction is complete, I'll describe him or her to myself as if I were working mediumistically and include the emotional vibe as well.


For instance, the other day I met a tall, slender gentleman, who came in dressed like a bicycle messenger, with a helmet on his head. How conscientious! 


He gave me his name, and I noted his appearance as I asked him “how can I help you?”


This man’s face was long with a good bone structure, and he wore casual shorts and a t-shirt stained at the armpits. He was sweaty from the heat. Emotionally, he appeared nervous and timid, almost in awe of being here. He chose...his words...very...haltingly. He explained he was a mathematician researching the connection between math and the arts. He wondered aloud if he was underdressed; adding that he felt so lucky he was going to be able to work "behind-the-scenes" in our library.


He was here for my colleague the Fellowships Admin, so I called her to reception.  When they met, he confessed, "I'm so nervous!" which I thought was endearing. Some academics who visit us are so full of themselves, it was a breath of fresh air to meet someone like him.


After they left, I quickly jotted down our interaction and later replayed it in my mind as if he were a discarnate spirit coming to speak to me as a medium. From “How can I help you?” to sharing the excitement of his statement, “I’m so nervous!” there is much to be learned about the workings of natural mediumship.


I’ve found that writing out and replaying encounters like this one helps me in communicating a spirit’s attributes as one might in casual conversation. Also, filed away in my memory banks, is a kind of character (a “humble academic”) that Spirit can call up in my consciousness when the need arises.

Last and not least, when I next see this gentleman walking the halls, I can more easily recall his name and ask how he enjoys working "behind-the-scenes" on his project (without knowing what he's added to mine!).

No comments:

Post a Comment