Thursday, November 30, 2017

The nuances of love.



I wanted to share this portrait because it’s been on my mind since he arrived for his daughter last Sunday evening.

Prior to the sitting, I was inspired to practice on my drawing application on my Surface Pro. It’s not my first choice for creating spirit portraits as I like the more precise nature of colored pencils over a stylus, but I took it out and this man appeared.

He came in with such love that I felt he was a spouse or boyfriend, but in fact, the distant nature of this man’s affection is what struck me so strongly. He spent time away from his family at sea so when his daughter did spend time with him, it must’ve felt as special as a beau visiting from afar.

My lesson was that instead of the relationship, the focus was on the quality of the emotion of love. The nuances, the unique wave of devotion and nurturing that came through was all that needed to be expressed.

I’m thrilled that this father landed and gave his daughter a message that captured her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment