Thursday, March 15, 2018

5 Tips for taking the “me” out of mediumship.


I often tell developing mediums to refrain from using the personal pronoun in their work. It’s not completely avoidable, it’s sometimes downright necessary, but a medium who puts herself in the way of spirit communication by using “I” and “me” phrases constantly is not serving Spirit.


Mediums who take the “me” out of mediumship practice authentic, basic communion and communication.


What is authentic communication? It’s when the recipient feels the communicator in the room, beside them, described as they were in physical life in their unique way.


What is basic communication? It’s when the medium does not add their take or interpretation on what is received.


What is communion? The sensation of blending of souls, of being overshadowed by spirit in such a way that the recipient fades to the background and communication is direct.


Do you need some help in seeing how this is possible? Read on!



  1. Instead of narrating what kind of perceptions you receive, such as “I feel,” “I know” or “I am aware of,” simply announce the communicator’s presence with emotion, and relationship: “A grandfather has come to visit his granddaughter, he’s a proper gentleman…” or, “A woman wearing a purple wig is here, she’s a friend from college. You will remember her being very giggly…”


  1. Transitions are typical places where mediums like to talk about themselves: “Now, I’m cracking up, he’s flapping his arms like a chicken, to me that means he liked to do the chicken dance…” or, “I feel like she’s stepping back, I’m losing her. I’ll ask her to come closer…” Instead, ask Spirit why? “He’s flapping his arms…(ask why?)...that’s what he did when he said goodbye, it made you laugh when he said,’‘I’m flying the coop!’” or, “She’s stepping backwards…(ask why?)...she’s not sure you’d like to hear from her, she wonders is it okay?”


  1. When you receive a perplexing image you may say, “I have no idea what this means! I’m seeing my father in a clown car of all things, huh!” This is a classic case of Spirit using a shortcut by placing a relation you understand in what may be an odd situation.


The situation is not for you to understand, so feel into what it means: “Your father is showing himself driving a clown car, there is something about a clown car he’d like you to remember…” Perhaps the recipient would understand him as a Shriner, or, it might relate to something in the recipient’s life. The recipient might say, “No, he never drove a clown car...oh, but yesterday my whole family of six jammed into my little Fiat..” Immediately watch Spirit’s reaction, because if it’s positive you can safely say, “He was there enjoying the sight of you all sitting on each other’s laps!” If it’s negative, that’s a good time to ask, “Give this to me in another way.”


  1. Instead of using “I” and “me” words, sometimes mediums insert their own personality into the communication which clouds the personality of the communicator. Is the spirit person laughing? Try to mimic their laugh, instead of always laughing the way you do.


But don’t appear to be acting a part. Be more subtle. Instead of saying, “He’s making me feel like I have to cough (hack! hack!)…” turn it around and say, “He’s asking you to remember his way of coughing, it came from deep in his chest…”


  1. Avoid closing your communication by saying clichéd phrases like “Thank you for working with me.” Watch for clues that the conversation is closing naturally, and focus on how Spirit would like to say goodbye in their own way. In your day-to-day life, notice how people say farewell and add those to your image gallery as potential shortcuts for Spirit to use in the future.  


Keep the "me" out of mediumship and your communications will be authentic and basic. Most of all, enjoy each unique communion with Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment